This is a simple to make fruit Christmas Cake which is light, fruity, boozy and moist. Decorate it in a classic style with the star templates and ribbon provided. Pop the cake on the table on Christmas Day and everyone will think you're a professional!
Apart from the fresh ingredients, everything you need is all in the box; your dry ingredients and your step by step guide to making your fruit Christmas cake.
This kit is best made over three days to allow the cake to rest and firm between each layer.
Suitable for vegetarians.
What's in the kit?
- 8” square cake board
- Brown paper
- Sugar, dried fruits, cherries & ginger mix
- Almonds, flour, baking powder, mixed spice & cinnamon mix
- Sugar paste icing
- 2x star templates
Step-by step guide to making your fruit Christmas cake:
- Grease and line your cake tin and line with greaseproof paper. Wrap the outside of the tin in the brown paper provided and tie the string around the outside edge and knot (this is to reduce chance of over-cooking on the outside), ready for the cake batter later.
- Put the sugar, dried fruits, cherries & ginger mix into a saucepan with the butter, orange juice and brandy (if using), and bring to the boil slowly, boil gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, put your dried fruit and brandy mix into a mixing bowl, add eggs and stir before adding the almonds, flour, baking powder, mixed spice & cinnamon mix. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon into the prepared cake tin and level with a spatula. Bake in the oven for approximately 2.5 hours but check regularly after an hour and turn if needed. It will be baked when a skewer comes out virtually clean. Don’t be tempted to leave the cake in until the skewer comes out completely clean, as the cake will continue to cook as it cools. Allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- When completely cold, skewer to about halfway down the cake numerous holes and then drizzle with the extra brandy (optional). Wrap with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 24 hours in a cool, dry place.
- Next day, remove all the wrapping and using a sharp serrated knife, carefully slice the cake horizontally purely to level the top of the cake. Now turn the cake upside down and place it onto the cake board.
- Use some string to measure the cake from the bottom, up the side, across the top and down the other side and cut. Put to one side until needed.
In a microwaveable bowl, heat the apricot jam for about 15 seconds on medium in a microwave to achieve a spreadable consistency. Spread over the cake top and sides.
- If you have any large holes in the cake, take a small amount of marzipan, roll in your hand until pliable and fill hole, making the surface smooth ready for covering the whole cake in marzipan.
- On a cornfloured surface, kneed the marzipan until it is soft and ready to roll. With a rolling pin and your piece of string, roll the marzipan to be slightly larger than the length of string in all directions (circular or square depending on which tin you used), to about a 1cm thickness. Place the rolling pin in the centre of the marzipan. Fold half of the marzipan over the top and lifting the rolling pin, drape the marzipan over the cake, smoothing down the top and sides with your hands. Once it is nice and smooth and level, use a sharp knife to trim the edges away. Cover with a clean tea-towel and store in a cool, dry place for 24 hours.
- Brush a very light layer of water over the marzipan to help the icing adhere to the surface.
- Repeat steps 7 & 10 for the sugar paste icing covering, rolling out to 0.5cm thickness.
- Place the ribbon around the base of the covered cake and tie with a big bow.
- Again on a cornfloured surface, roll out the coloured decoration sugar paste icing, place the largest star template onto the icing and cut round with a sharp knife. Using a small amount of water brushed onto the underside of the star, position the star on the top of the cake in the centre and repeat with the white decoration sugar paste icing and the smaller star template.
Now all you have to do is eat it!
Fruit Christmas Cake Ingredients: Christmas Cake & Decoration Ingredients: Butter (milk), muscovado sugar, plain flour (wheat, gluten), sultanas, currants, glacé cherries, mixed peel, lemon, ground ginger, cinnamon & mixed spice, eggs, orange juice, brandy (approx. 36% vol alcohol), almonds (nuts), baking powder, marzipan (sugar, almonds (nuts), glucose syrup, water, invert sugar syrup), sugar paste icing (sugar, glucose syrup, palm oil, water, humectant (glycerol), emulsifier (mono-and-Di-glycerides of fatty acids), stabiliser (xanthan gum, cellulose), preservative (potassium sorbate), flavouring.
Available for delivery across the UK.
How much does delivery cost?
Standard delivery charges apply at checkout:
For made to order products, standard delivery is £3.95.
For packaged goods, courier delivery is £3.95.
Delivery is free if you spend £150 or more online.
Click & Collect is free of charge.
How can I receive my order?
Delivery of made to order products is available within a 20 mile radius of Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.
Packaged goods such as our Baking Kits can be delivered via courier across the UK within 2-3 working days (this might be slightly longer in busy periods).
Meal Delivery Service is restricted to PE13 and PE14 postcode areas only.
Click & Collect: Alternatively, you or anyone over the age of 18 can collect your order from us. The person collecting the order must have the order confirmation number and a form of ID with them (either a debit or credit card, passport, driving licence or utility bill). Collection from 33 Gaultree Square, Emneth, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, PE14 8DA at a pre-arranged time.
Where is my delivery?
Our drivers will attempt to contact you if the delivery is running early or late. If your delivery has not arrived as stated and you haven't heard from us, please contact us 01945 474594.
When will my delivery be dispatched?
Once all the items in your order are ready, your order will be dispatched.
I'm not going to be in when my delivery is due – what should I do?
It's quick and easy to change your delivery. Please call us on 01945 474594.
Can you leave my delivery in a safe place?
We’re sorry but we cannot leave deliveries unattended.
Can I amend my order after I have completed checkout?
Yes, you can change your order up until Order Cut Off which is 12 noon seven days before your delivery/collection. We recommend calling us on 01945 474594 as soon as possible to discuss your order.
We reserve the right to restrict deliveries in certain areas. This includes the right to withdraw our services to individual customers' addresses if you are repeatedly unavailable to take delivery of your order or in other exceptional circumstances.
Products will not be left unattended, for example in a garage. If, in the unfortunate situation no one is available to accept your delivery, a card will be left by our driver asking you to contact us at your earliest convenience to arrange an alternative delivery time. Redelivery is subject to availability and is chargeable. If you fail to rearrange delivery, your order will be cancelled.
If we deliver outside the specified delivery period and no one is available to accept the order, a card will be left asking you to contact us. There will be no charge for the rearranged delivery, and we will do our very best to get your order delivered as soon as is practically possible. In cases where it is not possible to offer redelivery, your order will be cancelled and the cost of your order and any other associated charges will be refunded to you.
If you have not contacted us to rearrange a failed delivery or collection within 24 hours, your order will be cancelled and the cost of your order (excluding the cost of perishable items and any other associated charges) will be refunded to you.
Unfortunately, we are unable to refund made to order food orders. This does not however affect your statutory rights. We will explain refunds in more detail below…
Our Goodwill policy
In addition to your statutory rights under consumer laws in the United Kingdom, we have a goodwill policy. Under our goodwill policy, within 28 days after you have received your non-perishable and/or non-personalised, custom orders from us, you are not entirely satisfied with them you can return them with your proof of purchase and we will refund you for or replace/exchange the returned items. We will refund the value of the items by using the same payment method which you used when you bought them from us, except where you do not have adequate proof of purchase. Where inadequate proof of purchase is not provided by you, we may instead choose to refund the value of the returned items by providing you with a Sweet Things Savoury gift card or vouchers for the equivalent value of the returned items. Our goodwill policy is however discretionary and some items are excluded from it such as items that are used or damaged by you, items where the seal or packaging has been broken by you, perishable items including food and made to order or personalised items.
Your legal rights
Your other legal rights to refund or replacement under consumer laws:
Under consumer laws in the United Kingdom, we must supply our goods to you as described, fit for purpose and they must be of satisfactory quality. If we supply services to you, then we must supply them with reasonable care and skill.
During the expected lifespan of the product your legal rights under consumer laws in the United Kingdom entitle you to the following:
- up to 30 days: if you have changed your mind about the product you have purchased then unless the product is faulty, you have 30 days to return it in its original condition e.g. kept in the original packaging and labels and is undamaged and unused.
- up to six months: if your goods cannot be replaced, then you are entitled to a full refund, in most cases.
- over six months: if a fault develops after the first 6 months then you may be able to claim a refund or have the product replaced. However, we may require proof that the product is faulty.
- up to six years: if your goods do not last a reasonable length of time you may be entitled to some money back.
Customers must inform the retailer that they wish to cancel within 14 days of receiving the goods. Customers then have 14 days to return the goods once the retailer has been informed. Refunds will be given within 14 days of receiving the goods back.
If you have bought services from us, under consumer laws in the United Kingdom you can ask us to repeat or fix a service if it is not carried out with reasonable care and skill, or you can get some money back if we cannot fix it. If you have not agreed a price with us beforehand, what you are asked to pay must be reasonable. If you have not agreed a time beforehand, then it must be carried out within a reasonable time.
If you wish to exercise your legal rights to reject products you must return them in person to us (either where you bought them or post them back to us or, if they are not suitable for posting, allow us to collect them from you). You will pay the cost of returning the goods whether by post or collection.
Exceptions to these rights:
There may be some exceptions to these rights such as for those products and services listed below where, for reasons of hygiene, safety or under law we are not able to refund or exchange items unless faulty, not as described, not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality: Chilled and Frozen Products (including Food Made To Order) & Gift Cards/ Vouchers.
None of the above affects your statutory rights.
You have additional rights of cancellation if you order products online. These are described below in the section called "Cancellation rights".
Details of our goodwill policy as well as a description of your rights to refunds or replacements as described above.
You are also entitled under consumer laws in the United Kingdom to cancel your order if you are contracting with us online or by phone and, should you wish to do so, Sweet Things Savoury will refund or replace any products if you return them to us within 14 days after the day you receive them (so long as you have not unreasonably or unnecessarily handled or damaged them or their packaging).
There may be some exceptions such as those listed here where, for reasons of hygiene, safety or under law we are not able to refund or exchange items unless they are faulty or not as described or not fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality: Chilled and Frozen Products (including all Food Made to Order); Gift Cards and Vouchers; or bespoke products made to your specification that have been clearly personalised.
We will also refund any services up until 14 days after we confirm to you in writing that we have accepted your order for them. Once we have completed the services however you may not be able to obtain a refund if you have changed your mind.
If you wish to exercise your right of cancellation for products that you have ordered online, you are obliged to retain possession of the products and take reasonable care of them or return them to us.
If you decide to cancel products that you have ordered online, we will reimburse to you (by the method used to pay for the original transaction) the amount in relation to products to which cancellation rights apply. This excludes the cost of delivery. We may make a deduction from the reimbursement for loss in value of any products supplied if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you. We will make the reimbursement no later than 14 days after the day we receive back from you any products supplied.
Please contact Sweet Things Savoury on 01945 474594 or by email to yummy@SweetThingsSavoury.com with any queries and notice of an order cancellation must be given by phoning Sweet Things Savoury or by email or in writing to Sweet Things Savoury, 33 Gaultree Square, Emneth, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, PE14 8DA.
How can I pay for my order?
Any of the following cards may be used to pay for your order: Visa Debit (Delta), Maestro UK, MasterCard, Visa Credit.
Gift cards are not a payment option online. If you wish to order using a gift card, please call 01945 474594. If payment is being made in part or whole by gift card, a gift card can only be applied to an order once. If the gift card is added to an order and the same order is later edited and increased in value, further funds from the same gift card cannot be taken even if subsequent funds are available.
If payment details have been given, we will charge your card at point of order.
Do I need ID if I collect my order?
All customers collecting an order, whether the registered customer or a third party, will be asked to provide a form of identification for the person who is paying for the order. The identification must match the cardholder name shown in the payment details on the checkout page. The card itself will not be required.
Can I use a card under a different name to pay for my online order?
Yes, as long as you have the cardholder's permission and have updated the billing address during checkout to match the cardholder's.
What happens if my card is used fraudulently?
Through your bank or credit card provider, you may be entitled to cancel a payment or have such sums re-credited to your payment card where fraudulent use of your payment card has been made by another person not acting on your behalf.
Payment Security Policy
We will treat all your personal data as confidential. We will keep it on a Shopify secure server and fully comply with all applicable privacy regulations and consumer legislation. If you would like to read more on how we collect, where we collect or how we use your personal information, please see our Privacy Notice here. You can also find information in the Privacy Notice on how to stop receiving marketing information.
Credit Card safety when shopping online
The Sweet Things Savoury website uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology to encrypt your details as they are being transmitted to us. This technology is designed to minimise the risk that someone else could breach your privacy when shopping online with us.
Your payment details are held by us in a secure encrypted server and access to this data is secured by Shopify.
Errors/shortages, not fulfilling orders
If there are errors or shortages in what we supply to you, we ask that these are brought to our attention as soon as possible and preferably within 24 hours after the delivery or collection.